Art · iPad art

My Daily Dose

iPad drawings

I’m a pretty disciplined person. If I don’t have a good routine, I get depressed and anxious. So after I got somewhat stable at the hospital, I was happy that my day started forming some schedule.

I’d wake up around 6 a.m. and start to write my journal or draw. Then I call the cafeteria to order breakfast. After eating, the day shift nurse came in with my daily dose of fluids and medication. Then the nurse sanitized my dangling IV ports and connected all the bags hanging from the hanger. During that time, I often watched my favorite Korean music program called “Sketchbook of Youheeyeul.”

After I noticed I had more energy for concentration, my urge to create became stronger. One morning, I looked up and saw all the transparent bags. I knew it’d be fun to draw. So I started drawing, and I tried to do so any chance I got. I could manage to draw only three drawings, but it was fun.

Among these three days, I had to get another blood transfusion. Luckily I didn’t have any adverse reaction to all the transfusions that I even lost count of. But I developed a slightly icky feeling when I saw blood. I used to like watching whenever I had to get a shot or drawn for blood work, but now I turn away from it. I think I’m fed up with it too much and need some time off.

But all these clear and red fluids helped me gain more energy to get better. So I’m thankful for them.

It’d be lunchtime when all the medications are absorbed into my body. I’d eat my lunch and go for a ride with witty EMT guys for my daily treatment. When I returned to my hospital home, I’d see my handsome husband sitting at the chair waiting for me. We chatted for a while, and I sometimes doze off. When I woke up, my husband presented a delicious home-cooked meal in front of me. I enjoyed all the food he cooked and brought for me. We discussed the food how he could improve the meal for me. The time always passed too fast when I was with him. Around 8 p.m., he went back home, and I settled in my getting-very-uncomfortable bed with my cozy red blanket from my mother-in-law. I’d to try to relax and sometimes successfully fall asleep early. The night shift RN, CNA, and hematologist would wake me up several times for regular vital checks and blood works. I sometimes have a short conversation with them. And when the clock reached closed to 6 a.m., my day started again.

Now, I’m back home and trying to form a good routine for my new days. It’s been challenging since I have had too many outpatient appointments. But everything seems to get slowing down.

I’m looking forward to having a solid daily schedule to create more, write more, and enjoy my day more.

I hope everyone enjoys their healthy daily schedule for more joyful days!

Leave a Reply